HomeAboutContactSponsor

Monday, September 5, 2011

The Help

This weekend I went and finally saw The Help. I know many of you have already seen it so I echo you when I say how much I LOVED this movie. It was inspiring, beautiful, and sad all at the same time. I’m one of the few who hadn’t even read the book yet!

I could write an entire post on how heart-breaking it is to think about living in a time like that where human beings were treated inhumanely because of the color of their skin. However, in my opinion, this film so wonderfully depicted many of the real-life issues that were going on, many of those issues being shown from the perspective of “the help.”

Source: imdb.com via Juliana on Pinterest

 

 

 

My favorite character had to be Aibileen.

 

 

She was funny, kind {see above}, and had the warmest heart.

If I could choose a character to play, it would most definitely have to be Celia Foote!

Source: google.com via Hallie on Pinterest

 

 

Source: google.com via Sheila on Pinterest

 

 

The scene when she hires her first maid {I won’t say which one} was one of my favorites :) It looked a little something like this…

Source: google.com via Jennifer on Pinterest

 

I’m sure you’d want to be her too :) But mainly so you can carry around a glass bottle of “Coke-Cola” and wear fun outfits!

As much as I would hate to live in a time of such civil injustice, sometimes I wish I could go back in time just for the outfits and hair! {Okay, and the cars!}

I wouldn’t even know which hairstyle to start with!!

 

 

If you haven’t seen The Help yet, do yourself a favor and go see it. Or at least go rent it as soon as it comes out on Redbox! People in the audience were clapping, crying, laughing hysterically, and it made me grateful to be sitting there watching the movie in a theatre full of people from all different races. It’s a reminder of how far we’ve come as a nation and how far we still have to go. More importantly, it’s a reminder of what’s really important in this life… being kind. Beautifully done.

Have you seen The Help? Who was your favorite character?

Happy Labor Day, everyone! Here’s to the end of Summer and the start of a new season :)

20 comments:

Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

Ohhh I cant wait to see this!! I heard the book was fantastic!

Kristen Thornburg said...

Really want to see this movie and read the book!!

Raquel said...

Ahh i really want to see this movie!! i've heard amazing things about it!

MellyB said...

Dudette, go for the bowl cut on the little boy. I think it's going to be the next thing.

Loved the book. Loved. I am one of the very few people who thought the movie was so so. Eh.

Ashley said...

I've been dying to see this! I LOVED the book and I can't wait to see the movie. And I agree with you about going back in time- I love the fashion of this era... and of course the cars, too! :)

Caley-Jade Rosenberg said...

I'm so jealous - the movie has hit our screens in South Africa yet but I'm busy reading the book and LOVING it!
x

ashlyn | nicole said...

i think we might go see this movie today! :] i can't wait!

Lindsey said...

AGH! Literally JUST saw this last night and I totally was like I have to write a post about this next week. SO GOOD! When Skeeters Mom finally told her about Constantine ... UM, CUE the WATERWORKS! I was crying soooo hard that I coudln't breathe. Ridic. I LOVED the fashion, was disgusted at times, laughed and def cried my eyes out. Cannot wait to read the book. Celia was my fave too! Her outfits were the best. I'm still PISSED that Skeeter's BF just walked out on her. I'm like WTF! I thought for sure he would come back and apologize. I need to read the book to find out more about that sitch. OK, longest comment ever. Happy Labor Day!

Anonymous said...

I want to see this SO bad. And that hair...so dang cute. Hope you are having a great weekend!!

Anonymous said...

I have NOT seen this movie yet, but thanks to this post ... I totally will be ;)

Katie said...

Celia Foote is the greatest, she is just so much fun :) xo

Sara L. said...

I want to see this so bad. I am trying to finish reading the book first though. I agree Celia and the way she just has no clue is so fun to read and I'm sure to watch!

Emily said...

This was such a great book and movie, love looking at pictures of it - the outfits were truly amazing!

xx Emily @ laughliveandshop.blogspot.com

Amanda C. said...

I have not seen the movie yet but the book was wonderful. I hope they used some of my favorite parts. Aibileen was my favorite too.

Sheri said...

I want to see it but I want to read the book first! I need to get on that! It sounds amazing. : )

Jax said...

I cant wait to see the movie! The book made me laugh and cry... literally.. I was shocked at how much parts of it moved me! And I'd totally be Skeeter I think! Or Celia.. both were freaking fantastic!

Kristy said...

I REALLY want to see this movie!!

Sophie @ threetimesf said...

I'm so glad I read some of these comments - I was starting to feel like the only person in the world who hadn't seen this movie!!

claire said...

well ive never heard of this and this is the second blog post ive read about it in the last 5 minutes. must be a sign. must read it. Oh and i love that era..women really knew how to dress then x

Yelena Starikova said...

I love this movie so much!)

Im your new follower!)

GlamThings